[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 22:42:28 BST 2006

On 20/04/06, Karl Lattimer <karl at nncc.info> wrote:

> > People seem to misunderstand Gentoo and the compiling process, only
> > processors that are faulty would have any problem with the
> > compilations, processor's designs have to complete stress tests before
> > being made and leaving the factory which is far in excess of any
> > stress made with everyday compilation.
>
> agreed, but on laptops with bad heat management, the 24hour burnin done
> by chip producers isn't going to help if for example you have a Dell
> latitude (the one responsible for penile third degree burns on one
> professor), you go away amusing yourself come back, with a small fire
> kindling where your laptop was.

Buy shit laptops, expect problems. It is the same as anything

BTW: I don't misunderstand, I understand it perfectly, I just can't see
> the logic.

People who misunderstand *always* fail to see the logic.

> Gentoo is about choice, choosing how you want your system to be built
> > and how you want it to work and as such it is only for the enthusiast
> > and professional. If you like tinkering about with your system and
> > learning how everything works then it is great but for those who dont
> > it is not worth the trouble.
>
> Thank you! it is therefore hackish!

So people who like Lego are hackish?

> If you like everything to "just Work"(tm) then either use Windows or
> > Mandriva.
>
> Ouch, please don't say that out loud.

Well there is "just Work" and "i want to make it work".

> On the other hand gentoo and it's "hardened" project is used
> > extensively for mission critical servers because of the ability to
> > streamline it's deployment to suit any job.
>
> I don't agree that its ideal for this situation, I can imagine there
> being many issues surrounding it, every user of gentoo I know has had
> some horror stories related to it, which haven't happened to me.

The reason for Gentoo as a mission critical servers is because most are set
up (how the admin wants it not how another admin *expects* it to be) and
then left. Years in the future when things need updating you often need to
change the distro edition which is a mission, with gentoo all you need to do
is change the profile and emerge -uDv world

I don't think its hardened at all, i think its malleable, pliable, and
> flexible. I see its reasoning, but seriously, I don't have that time on
> my hands. You can't be both flexible and hardened, it simply doesn't
> work, hardening of software or operating environment is a process of
> reducing the system to a set of lowest common denominators where
> something can go wrong, therefore reducing risk, stabalising by reducing
> complexity and making it easy to debug. I don't disagree that you can
> harden gentoo, but i don't think its hardened. CentOS, wbel, rhel are
> hardened, aswell as suse enterprise etc... these are what I call
> hardened environments as a company has put time effort and swathes of
> cash at making them that way, with some of the best OS developers in the
> world.

 You misunderstand, "Hardened Gentoo" is a seperate form of gentoo made
specifically for enterprise environments. It is designed to work with such
things as SELinux, PAX and RSBAC. It creates a complete hardened environment
including kernel and toolchain, way in excess of CentOS, wbel and SuSE have.