[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Thu Apr 20 15:58:00 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:01 +0100, Paul Littlefield wrote:
> On Thursday 20 Apr 2006 14:13, dan attwod wrote:
> > And lets stop the gentoo bashing.
>
> Calm down people!

Serious debate, vs. screaming and shouting that you're right...

Hmm, I think some of the people on this list are a little too anal about
Gentoo, and are willing to defend it as the best system in world. Fact
is its not!

Stuart has the right idea, distributions have a point to them, some are
more hackish than others, requiring more intervention and more love and
attention, where as others just work, continue to just work and fit the
job perfectly. Others are ideal for new comers.

I think everyone who shouts so loudly about what is so great about
gentoo should actually realise, I KNOW WHAT FRIGGIN FEATURES IT HAS! I
don't need an advert!

If you have something new and exciting to show me, by all means post it,
I'll read it, but to regurgitate all of the previous rhetoric I've
already heard, save it.

I make a point that gentoo is not a brilliantly user friendly
distribution, it takes too much time and effort I could be using to
write code, use the web or play games to get it working the way you
want. Its not a good starting distribution for new comers and its
certainly not perfect.

K,