[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Fri Apr 21 16:35:43 BST 2006

George Prowse wrote:

> snip all the crap i'm not interested in <

Like a moth to a flame...

Just give it up. Please just stop talking, i may actually die of
laughter.

You can't justify it to me, you seriously can't I've been working with
linux for years, and gentoo is a fad, it peaked, now its on the way
down. I've seen many fads come and go, but this is after all a market of
natural selection.

I remember the LFS fad, christ I even did it, took me 3 solid days to
get it running but that was back in 1997... My processor couldn't build
anything in under an hour, with the possible exception of hello_world.c

Now I'm not a fedora zealot, I use it as a benchmark, like you would
with say ford (the oldest mass production manufacturer of cars). I use
fedora because I've been a redhat user since v4, I've used other distros
along the way, even debian at one time, I've always gone back to
rh/fedora because RPM works! Thats why its in use in so many places
other than redhat now. Don't get me wrong, deb works too, sometimes it
works better in fact. Last time I looked at slackware was 3.4, it caused
me many sleepless nights so now I won't touch it, bad experiences and
all. I have gentoo live-cd's for various purposes.

I am a linux zealot, and the windows vs. linux thing to me bugs the hell
out of me because windows is just plain wrong! as illustrated here
http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT8481640417.html

I'm not a HURD zealot, although I've never used it, it might be cool but
I can't be bothered...

I'm not a minix zealot, it was a teaching OS

I'm not a XINU (X is Not Unix as per mac OSX) zealot, although I do love
the OS and think it has some brilliant innovations I still think there
is something fairly rotten at the core but can't put my finger on it.

Distributions have their point, just stfu about gentoo, no one really
cares.

K,