[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 19:24:02 BST 2006

On 21/04/06, Karl Lattimer <karl at nncc.info> wrote:

> Like a moth to a flame...

oh dear...

Just give it up. Please just stop talking, i may actually die of
> laughter.

that would be a shame

You can't justify it to me, you seriously can't I've been working with
> linux for years, and gentoo is a fad, it peaked, now its on the way
> down. I've seen many fads come and go, but this is after all a market of
> natural selection.

I dont think it is a fad, i can see it being around for years. What i can
see is a forking of gentoo which will be a binary one or ubuntu offering
portage as an option as a package manager.

I remember the LFS fad, christ I even did it, took me 3 solid days to
> get it running but that was back in 1997... My processor couldn't build
> anything in under an hour, with the possible exception of hello_world.c

sounds like my 386sx

Now I'm not a fedora zealot, I use it as a benchmark,

benchmarks are always in the middle of the field so i'd say that is
sensible.

<snip>

> I've always gone back to rh/fedora because RPM works!

They all work otherwise they wouldn't be used

FYI, the oldest distro that is still going is slackware