[Klug-general] Shiny New Laptop

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Fri Apr 21 19:44:11 BST 2006

<snip>

Breaking my sentences up so they are taken out of context is not
necessary.

For instance: I say "I use it as a benchmark" I didn't say it was the
definitive one.

> FYI, the oldest distro that is still going is slackware

I said to the best of my knowledge, i didn't research it. There was a
bit of a spate of them from around 91-93. Either way its early and
learned a lot from the past

Who's the 800 pound gorilla, and who's the weeny little spider monkey.
Status does have something in it also ;) Like the Microsoft -> Apple
relationship, Microsoft are a giant, they set the lowest standard then
there's features and versatility over what they produce, niche markets
get filled like this. To the best of my knowledge ILM use redhat
workstations with maya and ilm composite. Houdini are switching to linux
as a target platform, eclipse IDE is very versatile so its getting more
usage and linux is an ideal platform for that. I run dreamweaver 8
occasionally in wine, but i don't rate it over eclipse.

The point is, the guy who didn't leave his footprints in the sand didn't
get remembered when the volcano went off ;)

I'm worried however about the idea redhat is gonna buy novell, either
them or oracle and I don't know which is the lesser of two evils.
However if I had put money in redhat a year ago I'd probably be thinking
a little differently.

K,