[Klug-general] Re: Mark Shuttleworth interview

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Thu Aug 10 21:24:28 BST 2006

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 08:35:14PM +0100, Dan Attwood wrote:
> I have just finished watching interview now - via Kubuntu with the
> mplayer plugins and codecs as supplied by Automatix

Heh. I borrowed a windows machine to watch it :(

> Its a good item and like colin says it's really good to see linux
> start to command a little bit of prime time.

Yeah, even though it's more4, it's still mainstream. Shame programmes like
Click on the BBC can't be more open like this.

> The only thing really cocerned me was the bloke half way thorugh of
> basically said - it's open source which means there's no support. no
> mention of the community or even Canonical

I felt the same way. I figured "any minute now they'll cut to Mark talking
about Canonical", but I guess the time for that segment was limited. He may
well have mentioned it, but it ended up on the cutting room floor.

Reminds me of a guy at work. He's a windows person through and through. He's
not a techy, but an application consultant. He is adamant that corporately
created software must be better than "that free stuff" and that there is
nowhere to go for support. All this despite the bloke next to him having got
Linux running sweetly on his home machine after many hours of support from me.

I try to point out to him that the majority of home users know a "techy"
either in the family, their social circle or at work. That this is the way
it works for Windows and Linux (and to a lesser degree IMO Mac), but he
won't have it.

Ah well.

Cheers,
Al.