[Klug-general] Something for the weekend

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Sun Aug 13 09:40:51 BST 2006

I've been playing with SLED10 recently and its really impressive and
I've decided to try and free up some of their non free stuff or at least
the UI. heh ;) I hope they don't mind.

The thing I've taken a look at is the Xgl configuration dialog and how
you can automatically retrieve the right driver and enable Xgl without
needing to do much thinking or clicking. So I'd like a broad spectrum of
assistance with a simple question; on your distribution is there a
distribution accepted way of installing the graphics driver. The process
on fedora is;

install livna.org repository
yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-driver-nvidia

Xgl is also available from other repositories, and if I can cover
ubuntu/nexenta (I HOPE SOMEONE USES THIS)/insert favourite distro
here... I'll have a scriptable way of installing Xgl/Aiglx and drivers
for various distributions.

anyway, some python/glade code is available from

http://www.wine-doors.org/de-0.1b.tar.gz

I've just got to hook up gconf and add in the auto-installer script.

To run it cd into Desktop-Effects/src and do;

python gnome-preferences-desktop-effects.py

you'll have to kill it with ctrl+c as its purely a glade UI with no
events functioning.

patches welcome, gconf will be done hopefully by the end of today and
that'll be everything but the install scripts.

enjoy
K,