[Klug-general] Via epia motherboard and tv playback

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Sun Aug 13 11:57:32 BST 2006

On Sunday 13 Aug 2006 11:12, Dan Attwood wrote:
> I been trying to get TV to play back smoothly on my via c3 1000
> motherboard and failing dismally.
>
> I've signal booster and a nova-t card.
>
> I've recompiled the kernel for the C3 processor and the box is running
> Xubuntu.
>
> I'm pretty sure i've got the right graphics drivers - they show as
> 'via' in xorg.conf- i've test this with glx gears as well and there's
> no problem.
>
> whenever I try to watch tv in kaffiene however the picture keeps
> ghosting and the sound breaks up.
>
> I can see with top and gkrellm that the loads on the cpu is very high
> - in desperation i've even started using fluxbox.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or different programmes to try?

have you tried watching the tv in a really small window as a test, as the
processor might not be fast enough.

Another issue might be that you do not have DRI enabled on your X so it will
be using software to display the image rather than the graphic chip. this
will be shown by running "glxgears" if you get a low framerate that you might
have found the problem

i dont have dri enabled on my x install yet and i get a low frame rate of 76
(celeron 2.4 with 9600 radeon)

Look in your X log for something like:

[drm] failed to load kernel module "fglrx"
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) fglrx(0): DRIScreenInit failed!
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *

(just grep for DRI)