[Klug-general] Re: Kent Digest, Vol 82, Issue 1

Alex Layfield alex at alexlayfield.force9.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 11:13:31 BST 2006

Kevin Groves wrote:
> Marco Bertaglia wrote:
>> One super thing at the kind of meeting you suggest:
>>
>> two identical PC, side by side, for hands-on demos
>>
>> one with all Windows-based OS + software
>>
>> one with all Linux-based OS + open source software
>>
>> comparable I mean
>>
>> and a tag with the total price of hardware + OS + software
>>
>> and then, let the people play and understand ;-))
>>
> I have a few issues with this kind of idea (even though it's a good
> one)...
>
> Who do you aim the software selection for? If it's gaming then Windows
> wins everytime. If it's home wp/spreadsheet then it's almost even but
> Windows wins because it's simple for the novice to understand the deal
> with. For music and graphics processing then Linux would nose into the
> lead. Then for anything bizzare Linux will leap ahead.
>
> I would suggest more than one setup and for the one to have
> *absolutly* amazing and unique software selection that you won't find
> under Windows.
So a couple of identical spec. setups with different applications...
categories... Office/School, Gaming, Multimedia...

> It's no good (and it's unprofesional) to goes Windows bashing. People
> won't take that, even if it is true.
Agreed... but just to show that Linux is as good as... I found, when I
first looked at Linux, that I couldn't deal with the freedom it gave
me... I needed to be told where to put My Documents... and for peace of
mind, needed to learn where Temp files hung out, Program Files, System
Files, Windows, C:\Windows\Options\Cabs et cetera...

> Kev,

Identical machines we can get from ComTech (Recycler) up in London...
I'm sure Alan'd lend us a few...

Alex