[Klug-general] Re: Kent Digest, Vol 82, Issue 1

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Tue Aug 29 18:59:41 BST 2006

Dan Attwood wrote:
> are no viruses and he won't have to shell out over £100 pounds on MS
> office and i'm geussing that most of the windows using population is
Yes but most would go the Windows version of OO and still have Windows
without the pain of learning another OS.
> the same. However none of these things are particlary sexy.
> You could I suppose show them something that is sexy, such as mythtv
> or xgl, unfortuently you'd also be forced to admit that it's a bitch
> to setup.

Anyone *that* interested would probably know about Linux already or have
some IT clue.

> The second problem is the press. It would be really great to get them
> to come along however you'd need to make sure it was very locally
> bias. Press releasing as the Kent Linux user group would be no good,
> you'd have to keep it spefic to a town. ie doing an install fest in
> Maidstone, for the people of Maidstone in a maidstone kinda way.
> You'd also have to make sure you gave them something good to
> photograph, no offence to anyone but a room full of geeks staring at
> their laptops just ain't gonna cut it. at the very least we'll need
> someone in a penguin suit
I'm not even going to explain the pain that a few of us had in setting
up the install fest and trying to get the papers involved. They have
enough problems staying in business and most of it is advertising so
'local interest' items tend to be small paras or something big with
*masses* of people.

Kev,