[Klug-general] Interactive Websites

Jonathan Moss jon at chosen-scam.co.uk
Thu Dec 7 16:33:30 GMT 2006

>> You get a simular problem with servlets played with them once and GWT
>> However GWT linked to PHP does not seam like a bad idea. Does anyone
>> know of some standard GWT/PHP libraries for get the two to communcate.
>> Option 2 is to use a server in the office but I'm guessing a ADSL
>> connection is not going to up to running the web server this is going
>> to turn into.

GWT has built in support for JSON which is a pretty light weight encoding scheme
based around a javascript notation (i.e fast since javascript interpreters are
built into browsers). See http://www.json.org

On the PHP side there is a standard JSON library which is part of PEAR.

Although both PHP and GWT do understand and have libraries for JSON they don't
have built in JSON-RPC libraries but the protocol is easy enough to implement. By
easy I mean it took me (a moderate programmer) a couple of hours (after ironing
out all the bugs :) to build the RPC side of it. See http://json-rpc.org for more
details.

If you need any further info I would be happy to help you out, drop me an email
and I will see what I can dig up for you to look at.

Regards,
Jon

PlusNet up to 8Mb broadband - only £9.99

Award winning, super-fast up to 8Mb broadband from only £9.99 a month with
free setup! Already got broadband? - Move to PlusNet for free.

Discover PlusNet broadband - http://www.plus.net/myreferrals/new.html/ooa0tg9gt8ay1