[Klug-general] Interactive Websites

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Dec 15 15:14:50 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-15 at 14:43 +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
> I've been find the right tool to write a good web site for nearly 10
> years. Its not got easier if anything its got more complicated and
> harder as more and more features get added.

More features != complexity

> I'm quite happy to use any tools but I'm yet to find one which
> actually works well or is easy to use by a none comptuer hack.

Dreamweaver - ideal for people just starting out.

> True the new feature like css and ajax make it better for the end user
> but the developer still has to cope with 3 different browsers that
> work complely different and use 2 different scripting languages
> (Javascript and DHTML)

WRONG! Javascript == DHTML Javascript puts the D in HTML

> several differnt dialects of HTML/XHTML and CSS
> which is not even XML complient.

CSS compliant with XML BAH!, I expect you're completely ignorant of the
total structure of CSS, if you look into how much it can do, then you'll
find that its the way it is for a really good reason, for instance XML
could only apply to one or two XML elements.

> There are always more than 3 ways to do things and different one of
> thouse 3 ways will work on a different client front end.

You really are over-confusing what is a very simple situation, the only
erroneous browser to the CSS/JS standards is internet explorer, and
version 7 is much better at this.

> If you want to create a website that is going to work on every browser
> since Netscape 2.2 and yet still use bleeding edge methods when they
> are available you are out of luck.

No, you're lazy and dumb. + The bleeding edge technology didn't exist in
NS2.2

> I like Dreamweaver its just a shame I can't get anyone to get me a
> licence and its non Linux compatable unless I emulate which would
> probably break the licence aggreement

WINE IS NOT AN EMULATOR!!!!!! FFS WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN THIS, ITS
SERIOUSLY LIKE WATCHING PEOPLE SLAM SQUARE PEGS INTO ROUND HOLES. WINE
DOES NOT EMULATE IT CREATES AN INTERMEDIATE COMPATIBILITY LAYER!!!!!

wine does not break any license agreement with macromedia/adobe, in fact
the developers want us to try this stuff out and tell them how to make
it better for them. This argument is completely redundant now, software
companies cannot stipulate the target platform unless the customer asks
for a refund because the product doesn't work.

I think you've blasted yourself with too much terminology too quickly
and you can't keep up with it, start with something simple like.

Hello World

K,