[Klug-general] Hi All, greetings and a laptp enquiry

matt house matthouse at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Dec 19 11:29:53 GMT 2006

<pedant>

Ahh... See I meant to say IBM. I'm well aware they sold to Lenovo, however I'm
not interested in anything after the transition because they're going to be far
too expensive (and IMHO the quality has taken a sharp drop but that's another
matter).

The old X21 I had and indeed the 240 series are both _IBM_ thinkpads as they
were manufactured before Lenovo came on the scene.

</pedant>

I used to have an iBook G4 at one point, but I sold it for several reasons,
mostly because the build quality is no where near as impressive as the
powerbooks (only to be expected based on the target markets and costs i know).
and it sounds silly but I just *can't* deal with only having one mouse button on
a linux machine, I use at least 3 on a regular basis.

other than that it ran Ubuntu very nicely :P

I'm not going to comment on Mac OS X as personally I find it almost as
uncomfortable and illogical to use as Windows XP, but hey! others mileage may
vary and all that.

cheers

Matt

Quoting Karl Lattimer <karl at qdh.org.uk>:

> Totally anally retentive correction
>
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 11:12 +0000, matt house wrote:
> > that sounds pretty cool actually, I used to have an old thinkpad X21 and I
> was
> > hoping to get something else by [ LENOVO ]. the build quality is second to
> none.
>
> IBM sold their PC business to Lenovo last year, although I think the
> machines are still branded thinkpad they are now manufactured by someone
> else.
>
> That said, they're still _THE_ choice for Linux laptops.
>
> I use Apple personally, partly because I love the physical design,
> partly because I also love OSX and believe strongly that OSX is the
> model of the future of linux.
>
> k,

registered linux user #380291
Sakura: Home built AMD64 3500, 1Gb, 160Gb, Radeon x1600xt
Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy