[Klug-general] Re: You can't dis apple

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Tue Dec 19 12:44:30 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 12:11 +0000, J D Freeman wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 12:04:22PM +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> > The one mouse button is a sticking point a lot of the time, I remember
> > reading from a former apple developers opinion on this. He said
> > something like 'its to try and stop developers relying on context menus,
> > which are by their nature hidden, the user doesn't know they're there
> > until they right click, limiting the use is a good thing and right click
> > is still available from CTRL+click'
>
> Yes, thats good. Get all developers to be sensible, but shooting poor
> developers. *NOT* by imposing dictatorial actions upon the user.

Actually it doesn't dictate to the user for the most part the user
doesn't even notice. There is masses of logic in what apple have done,
look at the Woz and Jobs and spot the fact that the pair of them are two
of the smartest people in the world.

> > > PS Bonus question for 10 points: Is mac bashing really off topic for a
> > > LUG mailing list?
> >
> > Mac bashing is a waste of time. They have come back from the dregs of
> > destruction, with a highly usable desktop which is ideal for every day
> > use. It isn't the thrown together discord which is Linux. Even though I
> > love Linux, it isn't anywhere near as good as OSX
>
> They have come back with a usable desktop agreed. I think its one of the
> best things out there for the normal user. I however, am not a normal
> user. Nor are most people on this list at my guess. And that is where
> the matter is really to be decided.

No you definitely aren't if you worry about 20px

> You don't give the blunt round ended scissors you had at school to a
> surgeon, but at the same time you don't give a scalpul to a school kid.

Bad analogy, I wouldn't trust my machine with you ;P But thats like
saying you wouldn't give a box of matches to a kid, you'd definitely not
give them an atomic weapon.

> The apple is a blunt pair of scissors. Debian is a scalpol. I use debian
> cos I am able to weild said scalpol without injuring or damaging anyone.
> I don't use the blunt scissors cos I like to be able to do more than
> just cut paper. Its horses for courses. Or as one person once said:

Debian is a sh*tf*ckb*stard heap of nonsense. Ubuntu on the other hand
is cool.

> Always the Right Stuff for the Environment (ARSE :p)

Funny ;p

K,