[Klug-general] Re: You can't dis apple

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Tue Dec 19 14:40:01 GMT 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 02:33:59PM +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> --- You silly silly girl ---
>
> RE-READ the question.
>
> Certification by independent labs is much different from a kernel
> driver. Support != certification

Ah yes, independant Labs. Now, who paid for that certification?

Personally I find myself in a much better position to test these things
for the uses I am going to put them through.

> Well I have code in sendmail, and openldap, although the former the
> patch wasn't submitted by me even though I did the work. That would be
> two of the earliest things I did.

I am not sure if it is good or bad that you ahve code in sendmail :p

> At the same time I was writing sendmail/ldap code I was 18 and working
> for an internet service provider, I was managing 46 rh7 based servers
> and around 700 rh4.2 based machines which had been installed for 3+
> years and mostly offsite in many of our clients offices. I was also
> developing perl and C software daily, and even submitted some kernel
> patches to sangoma regarding their wanpipe technology.

How old are you now?

I don't want to get into a willy waving competition, you immediately
start on a winner (actually having one).

> I'm a system administrator and developer, I develop in pretty much every
> language you'll be able to think of which don't suck. (perl excluded)
> currently I develop wine-doors which is a tool to help wine users get to
> using wine when they need it fast without the enormous amount of hacking
> required. I also develop on freevo from time to time and maintain
> gnome-dock, which is pretty badly maintained at present and this is
> purely my fault, because I work for a living, where I manage many a
> workstation and develop software, and manage servers and much much more.
>
> I do a lot. And moreover I'm good at what I do.
>
> Out of interest, what is it you do?

You're cv looks impressive. You certainly have done quite alot. Me, I am
just a part time helldesker, and a sysadmin. In the past, I have done
developement and testing with BT, I have coded in FORTRAN - for money!,
I have worked for ESA writting code for satellite telemetry systems. I
have fun a company selling oss solutions for SME's. But, these days, I
just don't do that much. Just run a couple of clusters for hosting of
xen virtual machines. Nothing big (well, enough to hit problems with
only 256 raid devices, but not the 40000 per box of the Z series).

So yeah, you have a better cv, yeah, you can wave your willy. Lucky you.

My software is free tho.

- --
http://www.quixotic.org.uk/
If you aren't getting wet, you aren't having fun.