[Klug-general] Backup solutions

Sharon Kimble skimble04 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 28 14:57:15 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 19 December 2006 18:52, Dan Attwood wrote:
> Karl's little problem reminded me that I need to find a backup
> solution for. It's a Windows based environment but an open source
> solution (rather then the obvious ca or veritas) would be good and
> installing a linux based master backup, monitoring, uber server is an
> option.
>
> I've looked at backuppc, but it seems to be a bind to configure and
> not really flexibible about where it puts it's backup./
> I've also skirted around Amanda and it's looks like it could be good,
> although lack of gui/ web intreface is a bit of putting.
>
> Any others ideas?

I use BackupPC, flexbackup, and rsnapshot.

BackupPC has a nice web-based gui for it but you can't really state where you
want the backups to be placed.

flexbackup is good but seems to no longer be maintained and is a bit long in
the tooth now. Its configured via one file in /etc and you can state where
you want your backups to go, even to another machine.

Rsnapshot is my favourite, and is in active development. It also is configured
via one file, and you can state where you want your backups to go, even to
another machine.

Sharon.
--
 14:52:28 up 15 days, 20:01,  2 users,  load average: 0.97, 1.08, 1.21
A taste of linux http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html