[Klug-general] DBus Problem

Peter Childs peterachilds at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 17:22:20 BST 2006

Ever since I upgraded my home PC from Ubuntu 5.10 to Ubuntu 6.06 using
the upgrade system, (Rather than a reinstall) DBus causes my machine
to freeze. ending up with the need to hit the reboot button.

Currently I've got DBus system switched off and the only thing that
does not work is the shutdown option in Gnome. I think is the HAL that
actually causes the freeze. It does not really cause the computer to
panic as such but stop being able to communicate with all the
hardware, Keyboard, Mouse Network, Screen, Harddisk, etc I think Linux
is still running, but you can't do much withit once you can't contact
the hardware.

DBus from what I've managed to find out sounds far to complicated and
under documentated to do its job properly. Its probably that modern
graphical OS are complicated full stop.

Any ideas would be helpful.

I did have had other version of Linux on the machine freeze in the
same way with DBus too including SUSE if I remember correctly......
But I just re-installed that some time ago.

Any help would be most wellcome. Some how I would prefer to be able to
reboot my machine using somthing other that Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

Peter.