[Klug-general] First Virtual Kent LUG Meeting

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Jul 15 14:41:47 BST 2006

On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 02:10:59PM +0100, Dan Attwood wrote:
> IRC is ok but really we were thinking of doing something in more of a
> podcast kinda way - thats why we put the agenda together  and are asking
> people to bring a topic along, to try and give it a bit more of a structure.

Ah, ok, didn't realise this was going to be a podcast.

Might be worth pointing out to potential participants how they can
dramatically improve their Skype call quality by opening a port on their
firewall to Skype and tell Skype what that port is.

> IRC can be really bewildering to newbies.

Agreed. So a guide on the website might be useful? Some LUGs have a regular
"meeeting" on IRC once a week which is often prompted by an email to the
list on the day to remind people.

> Hopefully by putting the podcast
> up on the klug site we can encourage some new members and maybe also help
> breathe a bit of life into the mailing lists and forum - if only to hurl
> abuse at us :-).

Ahh, LUGradio for southerners ;)

> That said i still think that a dedicated IRC channel for the KLUG could be a
> good thing to help us support each other on a day to day basis- or perhaps
> for friendlyness an always on instant messegning session.

You now have one.

#klug on irc.lug.org.uk.

Drop by (anyone) and say "hello".

> As for the non freeness of skype I agree totally, but skype is the only
> thing at the moment that will let us do what we want and it's easy to
> install and use.

On windows it's easy to install and use but it's not exactly the same on
Linux. I've had tremendous issues with the way Skype holds onto audio
devices unnecessarily.

Good luck with it!

Cheers,
Al.