[Klug-general] First Virtual Kent LUG Meeting

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Wed Jul 19 23:01:31 BST 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 09:44:09PM +0100, Colin_The_Technician wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Alan, some very good points and suggestions.
> Please can everyone bare in mind this release was an alpha and really
> just a proof of concept rather than a professional polish item.

Sure, don't worry about it though. Nobody will gauge the podcast on the
first episode, that's why it's good for us to hear it first :)

In my experience most podcasts are pretty crummy in fact in the early days,
then they get better as the presenter / guests get more comfortable and used
to timing and so on.

I have the following which I'd recommend:-

Title - Publisher - ISBN
Podcasting Hacks - O'Reilly - 0-596-10066-3
Tricks of the Podcasting Masters - Que - 0-7897-3574-1
Podcasting The DIY Guide - Wiley - 0.7654-9778-7

The last is a bit thin, I read it in one sitting, in bed. The others are
somewhat more comprehensive. They all contain detail you'll probably not
need like "how to find podcasts" and "choosing a podcatcher" but they also
all have plenty to say on making podcasts.

> >* The audio quality and volume levels differ dramatically between people.
>
> I wonder if my volume was louder because I was using my box to record
> the show??  Next time we will do some level tests.

I suspect your mic level was high, but the line-in, aux or whatever was lower.

> >* Stick to the agenda or show plan if you have one.
>
> To start with it was just Dan and me and we had an agenda of two
> points, but when Alan joined we expanded the topics as the
> conversation flowed.

Ahh, so *I* took us off topic with my rambling about Norwegian Fjords! :)

> >* Make it shorter/smaller - 34MB is pretty big, and there was a lot of
> >"uhm" time.
>
> uhm I agree with that, uhm but again uhm it was a test uhm alpha uhm
> release.  Not uhm 'This Week in Tech' uhm :-)  I think the optimal
> listening time for a lugcast would be about 40mins, but if this is
> more of a 'virtual' meeting then time should not really be an issue as
> long as we are productive in our conversations.

:)

Was good fun. If you have a spare slot in the future I'd love to take part
again.

Cheers,
Al.