[Klug-general] KLUG IRC

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Jul 25 23:26:23 BST 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 10:15:51PM +0100, Colin_The_Technician wrote:
> Alan I heard Istanbul had just got an update,

Indeed, 0.2.0 [0] is the latest version, although cvs has some further
updates. It's much more reliable and creates decent sized ogg videos.

> but today I could not
> get it to work,

What went wrong? Ask your local LUG, someone *wink* *wink* may have used
Istanbul 0.2.0 *nudge* *nudge* recently :)

> so had to fall back to a tried and tested method....

Cheat! :D

> VNC on a windows box and camstudio.  Also Windows Movie Maker is the
> quickest way to edit and get it online.

It's certainly *a* way, not necessarily the quickest. Especially if you use
Linux :)

> I will try and convert it to more friendly codecs, but WMV is good, as
> the quality is great and has a small file size.

I'd disagree with that. For the HantsLUG videos - sourced from my own DV cam
we found WMV to be consistently larger in size and poorer in quality than
OGG. Don't take my word for it, see for yourself [1].

> If I did record to ogg/theora what could I use to edit it?

Avidemux, kino, diva-project. Diva is a bit new. I met the author the other
day and he said it's not ready for users yet, but geeks could probably get
it working :)

The HantsLUG videos were edited with Avidemux.

As you know I'm an advocate of "eat your own dogfood". If we're demoing
Linux we should use linux.

Of course this means you've streaked on ahead making videos whilst I'm
fumbling around with free tools, but I get to claim the morale high ground ;)

Cheers,
Al.

[0] http://live.gnome.org/Istanbul
[1] http://hants.lug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TechTalks/1stApril2006