[Klug-general] Re: KLUG IRC

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sat Jul 29 04:13:13 BST 2006

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 11:35:13PM +0100, Colin_The_Technician wrote:
> Alan
> I really am a total newbie.....how to I submit a bug report?  The
> Istanbul site says,

I'm with you! Before a few months ago, I'd not reported any bugs, but in the
last year I've reports about a dozen. Not many, granted, but every little
helps to make the applications better, increase the documentation out there
and also make me feel warm and fuzzy that I'm helping a little.

> 'Istanbul uses Gnome bugzilla for bug reports and feature requests.'

There is a link directly to bugzilla from the Istanbul page. Click that.

This takes you to http://bugzilla.gnome.org.

Follow the steps..

1. Search existing - click that, then choose "complicated bug search form".
Then you'll find Istanbul under Classification: Other, Product:Istanbul,
Component: general, Version: 0.2.0. Also tick the Status: Resolved option to
show not only new outstanding bugs but also ones that have been tagged as
fixed.

Leave everything else, as is, and search.

Right now that shows up 8 bugs for me. See if your problem is listed there.

Note at the bottom there is a link to "enter a new bug".

This takes you through a *great* web based helper/wizard for reporting a
bug. Seriously it couldn't be easier. If the problem you've got isn't in the
8 bugs listed, go ahead and report one.

I also mailed the Author to give him a heads up about the bug report. Some
people don't watch their bug trackers much. After a few emails I asked if I
actually needed to be mailing him and he said that he actually checked the
bug reports regularly and it wasn't needed. If you look at the bugs I
reported (348576 and 348711) you'll note he replied nice and quickly - less
that 24 hours.

The bug tracker also emails you to tell you when a bug has been updated.
That's really handy if you've reported a few, and saves you having to keep
checking in on it.

> How do I use Bugzilla, is it a website?  Do I need to install it?  Is
> it already installed in Gnome?

Some applications do indeed have bug reporting tools, it's sometimes
difficult to know where to report bugs. My general rule of thumb is if you
got the program/package from your distribution, file the bug with them (e.g.
for ubuntu use http://launchpad.net/) but if you compiled from source or
received the package some other way then report via whatever the authors
means are.

> Once I get Linux screecasting working think I will screencast that :-)

Top plan! :)

Cheers,
Al.