[Klug-general] eSATA

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Fri Jun 9 17:48:54 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 17:40 +0100, Stuart Buckland wrote:
> Seeing as we have lots of people working in different areas I thought I
> might pick some brains...
>
> Has anyone come across a reasonably priced, dumb eSATA drive enclosure
> capable of holding at least 5 drives?

I wouldn't like to see one actually. SATA Drives get very hot, in one 8
disk array we have, without an air conditioned room and a set of 3 high
speed fans drawing air continuously across the drives they get so hot
that you can't touch the case without burning yourself (I have some
scars if you'd like to see them).

Anything larger than 2 in an external enclosure will probably overheat
very quickly, and I can't imagine that any available enclosures have
adequate cooling, I'd say that drive failure rates are high in any such
setups.

my 2c

K,