[Klug-general] eSATA

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 10 14:40:52 BST 2006

I sort of did this once.
I had a machine with a High Point Raid card - it supports two sata drives
and two external usb type drives. I then cut a hole in the side of the case
and passed the usb and sata cables out and into another tower case. I then
hooked up the sata and externel drives up inside the case, added some fans
and a temperature/ fan speed controler. i also built a wooden cradle to hold
the two extrenal drive cases apart.

The only flaws in the plan was that the High point card was a total load of
rubbish and never worked right under windows and the Linux drivers were
possibly the biggest collection of fudges i've ever seen and pratically
impossible to get working.

The other option now avaialbe of course is something like the Free NAS
applicance available from VMware and running under VMserver beta.

Dan