[Klug-general] eSATA

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Sat Jun 10 15:15:52 BST 2006

> hum to itself 24/7/365 (why for a moment did i think
> there were 256 days in a year).

You're probably running on base2 time, makes xmas come quicker, but it
throws the rest of the calendar way out of whack, 32 days per month 8
months per year.

> I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a simple RAID 5 (I like the idea my
> stuff is safe when hard disk failure occurs) card that i can use for
> this, similar yo you all i seem to see is RAID cards that aren't up to
> the task or ones that cost a fortune.
>
> This solution also provides you with many choices for cooling even
> though you have said this isn't an option.
>
> As i said this is something I've been thinking of for some time any
> advice/ideas would be useful. It just sounds to me like the easiest &
> cheapest (I have everything except the RAID card and disks already
> including an old dell power edge server with 6 well ventilated hard
> drive bays)

You could do this with software raid, but be careful with raid 5, we
recently had two disks fail at the same time on raid 5, at that point i
wished we'd used raid 6. The trade off is worth it.

Software raid is just as fast anyway, however I'm sure kevin will tell
you that array rebuilds are much faster on hardware raid.

K,