[Klug-general] Quick Cable Modem Question

Karl Lattimer karl at nncc.info
Mon Jun 19 11:07:19 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 10:55 +0100, Kevin Groves wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Someone I know has a cable modem with Telewest Blueyonder and I cant
> understand why they are having trouble setting up. I thought it
> connections by plugging the cable router into the ethernet socket on the
> Telewest box. They seem to think the router plugs into their existing
> modem!!!??? It seems to work for gerneral web browsing but their
> upstream transfers are timing out.

Cable -> cable modem -> ethernet port or usb (in windows)

The cable modem inside of the TV box has some serious problems which is
why blueyonder don't tend to push that, favouring the motorola surfboard
or webstar modems instead. One issue with the TV box cable modem is that
sometimes the frequencies are set up wrong which can cause all kinds of
problems.

If they have an external modem I'd suggest using that instead. Also what
do you mean by cable router? Is that an ethernet router with built in
firewall? these normally have an ethernet/adsl port on them as well as a
hub and sometimes wireless, if that is the case you can do this without
problems

cable -> cable modem -> ethernet router -> computer ethernet port

I'd suggest that you test the performance out using a live CD, that way
eliminating windows issues as a problem. Then if possible use a stand
alone cable modem, if that isn't available i'd suggest going to
192.168.0.100 in a web browser connected to the cable modem and see if
it is reporting any errors.

K,