[Klug-general] Wireless networking

Michael. E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 26 12:34:11 BST 2006

Good day all,

I wonder if someone could advise me about wireless networking under
Mandriva 10.2, or proffer any other useful advice.

I have treated myself to a Belkin 802.11g wireless router and a
compatible Belkin PCMCIA card for my laptop.

It all installed faultlessly under the dominion of the Boy God so there
are no hardware problems. It works fine under Windows.

The router has declared itself to be 192.168.2.1, so I have set up my
desktop computer to be 192.168.2.2 and that works fine under Linux. It
is wired through a network card to the router which is also wired to the
NTL cable modem for broadband Internet access.

The wireless bit is to the laptop so that I can use it around the house.
There is the problem, it seems on the verge of establishing a link and
then fails.

I am not clever enough to tweak text config files under bare Linux and
so I am using the GUI offerings in Mandriva 10.2. I reckon I have got
all I can from the router's set-up parameters and put them into the
screens available under the Linux setup but there are some extra ones
which baffle me.

For instance, what are the parameters RTS/CTS and Fragmentation? Anybody
any idea what I should put into those two boxes.

Also there are things like: Sensitivity Threshold, lwconfig lwspy and
lwpnw command extra arguments

I have put in what parameters I can find in the Windows setup and then
click the Mandriva network wizard to set up the network and the cards
power light comes on and stays on (so the PCMCIA bit functions) and then
the connection light flickers but then it goes out and stays out and
there is no connection.

It seems like there is a failure in the handshake. Any comments or
advice would be most gratefully received.

Regards to all

Mike Rentell in Folkestone.