[Klug-general] Wireless networking

Kevin Groves kgroves at ksoft-creative-projects.co.uk
Sun Mar 26 19:55:05 BST 2006

The best start is to ensure you have NO WEP or any restrictions. I know
that sounds strange but you need to make sure the basic stuff works first.

I've used an USB device with ndiswrappers and ended up with the Win 98
drivers and not the XP ones. Didnt seem to install into ndis with XP.

Then I used kwifi thing to scan and connect. All OK. Set the config and
for some reason wlan0 doesnt seem to want to start by default so I had
to use a command prompt to start the wireless with:

 iwconfig wlan0

Takes a little while to start up and then DHCP fires up and everything
is working. Then I found the default route to the router wasnt in place
so I added that by hand too.

Once working I then sorted out WEP and the MAC address restriction.

Kev,