[Klug-general] An alliance is announced

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Nov 3 12:03:20 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 11:52 +0000, Dan Attwood wrote:

> yeah but pclinuxos relies heavily on mandriva.
> plus suse enterprise has a whole load of domain and ad joining options
> when you install it so it's part way there for ms intergration
> already. plus novell have netware, their exchange veritent and host of
> other products to would be nice for ms to have - or at least knock
> out.

Netware is actually an IPX/SPX stack for networking which is also TCP/IP
compliant and includes some business enabling products like eDirectory,
I think you're thinking of netmail/groupwise which is their _equivelent_
rather than variant (variant suggests that it is based on exchange)
which are being superseded by Hula. Also you'll find that if you
configure winbind in smb.conf and pam and type net ads join you can join
an AD domain easily. This has worked out of the box on redhat for some
time (with a GUI on install), novell didn't really do anything new with
this other than allow multiple domains to be listed in the GDM login
screen. What is really behind their directory service integration is the
kerberos integration (which microsofts standard is heavily skewed) SSO
and Directory -> mail integration, eDirectory is great at managing
identities but lacks the email configuration control found in AD for
instance mail forwards and distribution groups.

Hula + sendmail will eventually kill off the exchange market but this is
going to take a long time.

I honestly can't believe the seriously silly conclusions people have
jumped to over this, in all seriousness this is a business deal _NOT_ an
intellectual property purchase. If microsoft ever get into the Linux
game as a distributor I'll eat my red fedora!

K,