[Klug-general] open xchange

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Tue Nov 7 12:37:55 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 10:26 +0000, Evan Ingram wrote:
> I did look at hulas but it didnt have the ..er functionality we were
> after.

The erm what ..er functionality??

> Another problem im having is with fetchmail. I need to pull down mail
> from pop accounts for several different users some with more than 1 pop
> account, and have the mail delivered so that open xchange can read it.
> Open xchange users mail is stored in /home/users/Maildir/ and im using
> courier-imap. I'm not too hot on mail servers and mta's etc, but managed
> to get Open xchange and its webmail up through following online guides -
> it was a struggle. Open xchange will mail out, but i want to use
> fetchmail to grab the mail down from a pop account instead of using it
> as a full mail server.

maildir is a terrible way to store email, hula will be compatible with
open xchange and novell netmail it is an amalgamation and evolution of
the two bring the best of both worlds including rich web clients.

Hula acts as MUA imap/webmail etc... with other groupware facilities,
sendmail/postfix/qmail/exim could conceivably be used as the MTA
although I believe it also has one built in, fetchmail is a pissy
program to do a job, you can use fetchmail as a cronjob, or script it
otherwise easily enough and its better to have this as a separate hack
from your MTA than as part of it.

You should also consider using ETRN mail handling rather than fetchmail
as its more secure, faster and generally better. If you have a static
internet connection then you may consider using a more adequete MX DNS
registration and use an offsite server to rebounce mail which would be
faster.

> I got fetchmail to login to a single pop account, but it pulls the mail
> down into /var/mail.

This is scriptable, I can send you some stuff which I've written as a
hack to perform this task although its an old hack and may be
incomplete.

> Anyone got any advice which isnt read the man pages?

Use perl/python/bash to generate a fetchmailrc and execute in a single
process, unfortunately fetchmails cli doesn't have enough arguments to
make it as useful as it could be.

K,