[Klug-general] Backup Solutions Advice

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Wed Nov 29 18:51:52 GMT 2006

Quoting Keith Edmunds <keith at midnighthax.com>:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:44:28 +0000
> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> For reasons I cannot go into, the data must be kept on-site
>
> Matthew, I have to question that. Fire safes (and similar) will be
> rated to withstand a given temperature for a given number of hours, and
> the 'hours' figure is usually between 1 and 3. There is a very serious
> risk that, in the event of a major fire, you would lose all backups. I
> believe the statistic is that something like 85% of businesses that
> lose all their data go out of business within six months.
>
> I don't know why (and I'm not asking why) you feel that backups
> cannot be held off site, but please reassure me that the business
> managers understand the significant risk they are taking in not having
> off-site backups.
>
> Advice offered in good faith!

And accepted in the same! :)

They do understand what they are doing, these are our backup tapes
that we use to restore (should we need to) on a day-by-day basis.  We
do have a Disaster recovery plan which has been fully tested and we do
have other backups that are kept off-site.

Hope this reassures you,

M.
--
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace