[Klug-general] Backup Solutions Advice

Keith Edmunds keith at midnighthax.com
Wed Nov 29 16:07:39 GMT 2006

On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 15:44:28 +0000
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace <matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:

> For reasons I cannot go into, the data must be kept on-site

Matthew, I have to question that. Fire safes (and similar) will be
rated to withstand a given temperature for a given number of hours, and
the 'hours' figure is usually between 1 and 3. There is a very serious
risk that, in the event of a major fire, you would lose all backups. I
believe the statistic is that something like 85% of businesses that
lose all their data go out of business within six months.

I don't know why (and I'm not asking why) you feel that backups
cannot be held off site, but please reassure me that the business
managers understand the significant risk they are taking in not having
off-site backups.

Advice offered in good faith!

Keith

--