[Klug-general] Compiling hostapd

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 11:42:44 BST 2006

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> George Prowse wrote:
>> Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm currently trying to compile that latest version of hostapd
>>> against the git kernel sources and I keep getting the following
>>> error that I just can't solve:
>>>

> <snip>
>
>> 2 questions, first one silly:
>>

>> 1) have you got the proper dependencies? (IAPP perhaps)
>> 2) what are your LDFLAGS
>
> George,
>
> I'm still getting the hang of this, I can't find any LDFLAGs in either
> the Makefile or the .config, is this the right place to look?
>
> AFAIK, I have all the correct dependencies buit into the kernel or as
> modules, so I'm really not sure where to go from here.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Matt (realising that the more he leanrs, the more he discovers how
> little he knows...)

Well you have 3 types of flags that you can pass when building a program
relating to speed, use of memory, binary size, maths calculations,
dynamic loading and shared code in memory and lots of other nice things
which are fun to play with when you dont care if you mess your system
up. Those are CFLAGS, ASFLAGS and LDFLAGS which are compiler flags,
assembler flags and linker flags respectively. Basically, if you dont
know what they are then you didn't set them. :)

Not having used hostapd i cant really help, it just looked like a linker
problem. Have a look through the deps again.

George