[Klug-general] Debian 4.0 released

Karl Latimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 10:30:37 BST 2007

> Please remember that neither Gentoo nor Ubuntu would exist without
> Debian, from which they are both derived.

True, but hell, if darwin is right, we're derived from rats. Remember,
windows XP is derived from NT 1, there are many steps in development
after the initial push. Even coal can turn to diamond. So ancestry is
hardly a fair benchmark, sure I'm glad debian existed without it we
wouldn't be where we are, however they should really stop trying to make
distros. Software isn't like Grolch...

> Also, whilst gentoo is an excellent distro for both learning and
> building custom servers, what does it add for the "non-tinkerer" (i.e.
> those of us who want to build a server and have it server)? nothing,
> except an extra days work to install.

Day? I'm sure thats a conservative estimate.

> As for overlays etc. the same can be achieved using debian repositories too.
>
> There are a number of distros that can run on ps3 from what i can gather
> , however I think only debian runs on the nokia 770 internet tablet.

Actually the 770 and 800 run on busybox
http://www.busybox.net/about.html which is derived again from debian.

K,