[Klug-general] Debian 4.0 released

Mark Brier (Lists) lists at openitup.org
Tue Apr 10 12:13:40 BST 2007

Karl Latimer wrote:
>> While I much prefer debian now due to the ease of use factor, I urge any
>> new linux users to install, explore and learn gentoo, as it has provided
>> me with an excellent base to learn gnu/linux in general.
>
> Thats a pretty steep learning curve, I wouldn't recommend that at all. I
> think for new users the most important thing is to not require command
> line intervention.
>
> If you want to learn how operating systems work then sure, use gentoo as
> you'll learn a hell of a lot. However, gentoo for windows newbes is a
> seriously bad idea.
>
> Engage your brain, please... New users == soften the introduction.

Im was talking from my own experience.

I had used a handful of distros before gentoo. I didn't really learn
much about the inner-workings of the system at all.

I guess my comment is aimed at new linux users who want to understand
linux (and have had a dabble at somethingike ubuntu), not simply just
browse the web, use email etc. It is a steep learning curve, but IMO one
which is well worth experiencing.

I've always believed that throwing yourself into the deep end is the
best policy. It's a little intimidating at first but there's something
exciting and challenging about it which really aids my learning.

I guess what we've both missed here is that everyone is different and
therefore learns in their own way(s).

  .~.   Mark Brier - Open Source Tech Consultant
 / v \  mark AT openitup DOT org / lists AT openitup DOT org
/( _ )\ PubKey - http://www.openitup.org/keys/markatopenitup.asc
  ^ ^	+44 (0)161 2422132 / +44 (0)7793 036840