[Klug-general] Wanted: Linux/Open-Source based job in Thanet/Canterbury area

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Apr 10 15:29:37 BST 2007

Hi all,

This is a general plea really for suggestions about how to get a job
that utilises  my skills and enthusiasm for Linux, especially
LAMP-Based technologies.

I am currently working on a Helpdesk supporting Windows and an IBM
eSeries server which runs OS/400.  Whilst the OS/400 stuff is
interesting, the helpdesk side of things is not, therefore I'm
thinking that it's time to start looking at moving on and I want to
work with my real love in the computing world - Linux.

I can program in PHP and MySQL, create websites in xHTML and I always
use CSS for layout and accessibility. I have several years experience
of running my own personal servers for hosting sites including the use
of Apache vHosts and I am familiar with Ubuntu, Gentoo, AIX and
Unixware.

I've also played briefly with Solaris and HPUX, but I've only done
very basic things with them.

If anyone has any roles out there that they feel I may fit into,
please let me know. Also, if anyone has any advice on how to get a job
in the Open-Source world, that would be great - I'm sure its something
that a number of people on this list may be interested in.

I've decided it's time to move away from the helpdesk and towards
systems administration.  If I get there via web programming, then
that's an added bonus.

Cheers and thanks in advance,

Matt.
--