[Klug-general] Wanted: Linux/Open-Source based job in Thanet/Canterbury area

Mike mike at csits.net
Thu Apr 12 00:44:48 BST 2007

On Tue, Apr 10, 2007 at 03:29:24PM +0100, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is a general plea really for suggestions about how to get a job
> that utilises  my skills and enthusiasm for Linux, especially
> LAMP-Based technologies.
>
> I am currently working on a Helpdesk supporting Windows and an IBM
> eSeries server which runs OS/400.  Whilst the OS/400 stuff is
> interesting, the helpdesk side of things is not, therefore I'm
> thinking that it's time to start looking at moving on and I want to
> work with my real love in the computing world - Linux.
>
> I can program in PHP and MySQL, create websites in xHTML and I always
> use CSS for layout and accessibility. I have several years experience
> of running my own personal servers for hosting sites including the use
> of Apache vHosts and I am familiar with Ubuntu, Gentoo, AIX and
> Unixware.
>
> I've also played briefly with Solaris and HPUX, but I've only done
> very basic things with them.
>
> If anyone has any roles out there that they feel I may fit into,
> please let me know. Also, if anyone has any advice on how to get a job
> in the Open-Source world, that would be great - I'm sure its something
> that a number of people on this list may be interested in.
>
> I've decided it's time to move away from the helpdesk and towards
> systems administration.  If I get there via web programming, then
> that's an added bonus.
>
> Cheers and thanks in advance,
>
> Matt.

Hmm, this is a tricky one.  Best described over a beer.  I'm happy to talk about it for as long as my glass is not empty :-)

In short:

I don't know how good you are with LAMP stuff but bear in mind that it is easy to learn, difficult to master, so unless you are sh!t hot, don't bother.

I'd probably avoid anything that is Solaris/HP-UX as a main requirement but don't be put off if it's a Linux with Solaris/HP-UX role.

So, basically you want to be a Linux sys admin.  The major problem here is that to get a job you need two things: skills *and* experience.  This creates a bit of a catch 22 if you have never worked in that area before.  You have two choices 1) join as a graduate/apprentice/trainee and work your way up 2) bull shit your way in.

The whole job thing is like a game and there is a complex set of rules, hence why this is best discussed over a beer.  Essentially, your first port of call is your CV, it must contain:

1) Skills
2) Experience
3) Hobbies and interests

1) You need to have the skills which are being asked for on your CV, fairly obvious really. 2) You need expereience to help prove that you have these skills are aren't just bull shitting 3) People like you know you are human and will fit in with the team.  A CV should be tailered to the job you are applying for.  It needs to tell the employer that you are the right person for the job.  If you are lucky, you will get an interview, this serves one main purpouse and that is to answer a question the manager will be asking after he's read your CV and that is: "do we want to work with this tosser?"  The CV will tell them that you are capable of doing the job, the interview is to decide if they really want to sit next to you for 8 hours a day.  It may also be an oppertunity to test if you were bullshitting on your CV by asking some technical questions.

The final problem you will have is that the two main industries in Thanet are 1) Ridding little children up and down the beach on donkeys and 2) selling cups of tea to retired OAPs.

Mike.