[Klug-general] Debian 4.0 released

Peter peter at sheppey.free-online.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 20:03:08 BST 2007

I switched from Windows 98 to Linux two or three years ago so I am a
relative  newcomer. I I started with Fedora Core 1 because  that was the
DVD on the back of Linux for Dummies and it was an achievement when I
printed off my first letter ready to send.

Recently I refurbished a computer with Kubuntu as the operating system
to give to a friend. To give you an idea of her knowledge of computers,
she asked me what 'download' meant. Yet she is delighted with the
computer because she got it already set up.

Please remember when you are  dealing with newbies, sometimes the
question is, "How  do I switch it on?"

Regards, Peter

On Tue, 2007-04-10 at 12:13 +0100, Mark Brier (Lists) wrote:
> Karl Latimer wrote:
> >> While I much prefer debian now due to the ease of use factor, I urge any
> >> new linux users to install, explore and learn gentoo, as it has provided
> >> me with an excellent base to learn gnu/linux in general.
> >
> > Thats a pretty steep learning curve, I wouldn't recommend that at all. I
> > think for new users the most important thing is to not require command
> > line intervention.
> >
> > If you want to learn how operating systems work then sure, use gentoo as
> > you'll learn a hell of a lot. However, gentoo for windows newbes is a
> > seriously bad idea.
> >
> > Engage your brain, please... New users == soften the introduction.
>
> Im was talking from my own experience.
>
> I had used a handful of distros before gentoo. I didn't really learn
> much about the inner-workings of the system at all.
>
> I guess my comment is aimed at new linux users who want to understand
> linux (and have had a dabble at somethingike ubuntu), not simply just
> browse the web, use email etc. It is a steep learning curve, but IMO one
> which is well worth experiencing.
>
> I've always believed that throwing yourself into the deep end is the
> best policy. It's a little intimidating at first but there's something
> exciting and challenging about it which really aids my learning.
>
> I guess what we've both missed here is that everyone is different and
> therefore learns in their own way(s).

I am having a lot of trouble with spam. Please add 'check123'to your
subject line so that your message will be highlighted.