[Klug-general] The Android Developer Challenge will award $10 million to developers who build great apps for Android

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 14:39:43 GMT 2007

> > LOL, don't be stupid, the iphone is the best bloody product out there,
> > it has a software stack that kicks the arse of android (core image, core
> > audio, core animation, quartz extreme, quartz compositor, among many
> > other apple APIs). The user interface has been 2 1/2 years in
> > development and shows how much attention to detail apple have paid, soon
> > it'll get 3G, GPS and MMS support and then it'll be mainstream in
> > europe.
> >
> > iPhone is good, there is no denying it, I haven't seen any valid
> > criticism which isn't already on a time table for redress. The open
> > source world can't produce something like this, especially not in the
> > time frame allowed. I mean FCS we're still trying to get a single
> > direction and combined effort behind open compositing and yet there are
> > no HIG guidelines for compositing yet, this is now 2 years old! Apple
> > did this 8 years ago!
>
> Pity the phone itself is shit and it comes with a crap camera... But who
> wants that, eh?

So it has a 2mpix camera? So what, its not _THAT_ bad, in fact for a
2mpix it does better than my old motorola, which really did have a shit
camera which was supposed to be the same quality. The parts are better
quality than motorola.

So what exactly about the phone is shit, after using one the audio
clarity beats any phone I've used incoming and outgoing, and because it
has a full unix operating system it can easily multitask emailing and
phoning at the same time, unlike S60 or any other phone OS for that
matter.

>  From what I can tell it does the typical Apple bit and that is "doesn't
> work as good as it looks".

>From my experience all apple products work as good as they look, I have
two macs and an ipod (how many apple products do you own?), I'm happy
with all of them, well except the HDD in my ipod died after its 500th or
so drop.

> > I wouldn't criticise this breakthrough product until you can at least
> > write some cool bling in cairo or clutter and realise that the effort is
> > far beyond what anyone else can produce right now, even google.
> >
> I can criticise it all I want, my phone is far better than the iPhone, I
> can even plug it into the computer and my box gets a 512mb broadband
> connection through it.

No you can't really criticise something by citing yet another persons
work as better... Especially as no UI in the world compares to iPhone.

And for the record, the maximum theoretical (that's a key word) limit of
HSDPA is 384Mbit/s not mb (milli bytes?) and for those so blissfully
unaware a bit is 1/8th of a byte.

Moreover, most people can only get around 280Mbit/s out of HSDPA and the
coverage in maidstone from either o2 or orange is non
existent...pointless

George, I think its time for you to stop having a go at a product
because you can't afford it and judge it on its merit, a breakthrough UI
on a breakthrough device. I won't buy one until it gets to a certain
level of feature completeness but I still recognise the merits of it.

Oh for the record, apple inventions that are not all show and no action;
 * The personal computer
 * The mouse
 * The portable hdd based mp3 player

These weren't just innovations, they were paradigm shifters. iPhone is
yet another one.

K,