[Klug-general] The Android Developer Challenge will award $10 million to developers who build great apps for Android

J D Freeman kent at quixotic.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 16:56:36 GMT 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 02:39:07PM +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> No you can't really criticise something by citing yet another persons
> work as better... Especially as no UI in the world compares to iPhone.

On this issue I have to say you're wrong.

The fact of the matter is, that as a phone, the UI is not particulaly
good. You need to be looking at the screen to type, as there is no
tactile feedback. This also makes it hard to use with a single hand (not
impossible).

For this reason I do not like the iPhone.

That said, I like having a phone that I can make calls with, and send
text messages. All other tasks are to me, why I have a laptop.

Typing fast, one handed, requires some sort of tactile feedback, be it
from the shape of the keys, or the layout, or even the fact something
got pressed.

This all said, its a matter of taste. You like the iPhone, I don't. You
spend money and get an iPhone, I'll stick to my low end nokia.

> George, I think its time for you to stop having a go at a product
> because you can't afford it and judge it on its merit, a breakthrough UI
> on a breakthrough device. I won't buy one until it gets to a certain
> level of feature completeness but I still recognise the merits of it.

> Oh for the record, apple inventions that are not all show and no action;
>  * The personal computer

On this one you are wrong. The first personal computer is credited to
Kenback-1 (tho there is dispute as to if the datapoint 2200 was first.

Neither of these were done by apple.

>  * The mouse

Created by Xerox PARC. *NOT* by apple.

>  * The portable hdd based mp3 player

The first one with a hdd was produced by Compaq in 1998. Again, not
Apple.

I don't know what dissollusionment is required to worship at the church
of apple, but rewriting the history books is going abit far!

> These weren't just innovations, they were paradigm shifters. iPhone is
> yet another one.

And all of them non Apple.

If you want paradigm shifts, why not mention Unix :p