[Klug-general] Fedora 8

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 22:13:35 GMT 2007

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 18:17, Andrew Miller (Spode) wrote:
> I get a similar issue on my Sony. It ends up with the screen going
> crazy. I've put this down to the fact I have a TurboCache Nvidia
> Graphics card. I imagine the mechanism in which it shares the system
> memory is a little complex.
>
> Have you tried looking in the gnome log files?
>
> Mike Evans wrote:
> > Spode,
> >
> > Thanks for the thought. I tried that though - or at least typing "sudo
> > shutdown now", which is similar except that I think it probably takes
> > me to runlevel 0 via runlevel 6.  Apologies for not mentioning this in
> > my previous post - but that always works.  What's more, the hang can
> > happen when just doing a logout or switch user from the desktop.  This
> > makes me think it is much earlier on in the process.
> >
> > I really need to get inside whatever script the logout icon on the
> > desktop is doing and put some debug lines in that - or at least look
> > through it to see what it's up to and try the components separately.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas on how I find out what the logout/shutdown
> > dialog runs on either Fedora 8 or Ubuntu 7.10 as they both seem to
> > have this 'hang on desktop logout' problem on my laptop?  It's not
> > every time so I guess it's some sort of timing problem.  Fedora 6
> > doesn't have the problem.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > Andrew Miller (Spode) wrote:
> >> Mike,
> >>
> >> I would suggest going to the tty3, and then running "init 0" to go to
> >> runlevel 0. As you're at console, you should be able to see each
> >> service shut down and *might* be able to see what's going on.
> >>
> >> Spode

does this problem occur if you don't use X, eg shutdown from the console.

it sounds like a gfx card driver or kernel module issue to me, chances are
that the gnome shutdown script hasn't changed between versions at a guess.

if you have acpi working (probably have by default), does the problem occur if
you just tap the pc's case power button, as this  should cause a correct
shutdown.