[Klug-general] Fedora 8

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 22:30:17 GMT 2007

Andrew Miller (Spode) wrote:
> I get a similar issue on my Sony. It ends up with the screen going
> crazy. I've put this down to the fact I have a TurboCache Nvidia
> Graphics card. I imagine the mechanism in which it shares the system
> memory is a little complex.
>
> Have you tried looking in the gnome log files?

I've looked in /var/log/gdm at :0.log and similar.  Don't see anything
scary in them although on startup there are some lines saying:

ProcXCloseDevice to close or not?

repeated 4 times.

Nothing suspicious in the Xorg.0.log or Xorg.0.log.old unless I'm
missing something.

Is there any other gnome log I don't know about?

MacGyveR wrote:

> does this problem occur if you don't use X, eg shutdown from the console.

No - I can shutdown from a console OK, which is why I think it is
something to do with the desktop logout rather than shutdown.

> it sounds like a gfx card driver or kernel module issue to me, chances are
> that the gnome shutdown script hasn't changed between versions at a guess.
>
> if you have acpi working (probably have by default), does the problem occur if
> you just tap the pc's case power button, as this  should cause a correct
> shutdown.

I do have acpi working - but it's not a shutdown problem as discussed -
it happens sometimes on "Logout" which should just get me back to the
Ubuntu login screen.  What's more it doesn't happen every time.  Earlier
this evening it failed.  I've just gone through a logout log-in and it
was fine.

Any idea where I find the script that runs when I do that?  That way I
can see what it's trying to do.  My guess is that it closes down some
stuff to do with networking because the desktop is running nm-applet and
network manager is running underneath.  Equally you could be right in
that it is trying to reset some display stuff.  Either way I wouldn't
mind putting some lines into it that write to a log and "sync sync"
between each step.  Then I might get a clue what the problem is.

In fedora I know how to disable the network manager and use the
conventional network service to start my wireless card so I could give
that a go and see if it makes a difference.  I'm not so familiar with
the way that Ubuntu controls it's services, and the services GUI tool
isn't as helpful as the fedora one.  (For a change!)

Thanks to both for your input on this.
Mike