[Klug-general] Ubuntu Boot

George Prowse cokehabit at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 08:41:12 GMT 2007

Richard wrote:
> Hi,
> Just because i haven't been in contact I have been listening. Found
> "linux for Dummies" Quite useful. Thanks for that.
>  I have been attempting some C++ programming which is going well.
> I do have a snag with gutsy gibbon though as it boots in total darkness
> now and occasionally drops out to root. I have another machine that
> boots Ok . Which files should I compare to correct the problem Please?.
>     richard
> Any Meetings Planned for Canterbury or Dover? I would like to meet some
> of you but I fear my knowledge is very limited and I would have little
> to contribute.

A couple of questions.

1. Does your screen click on and off?
2. do you end up in the command line log-in or root? (ie, do you have to
sign in to get to root)
3. Give the output of these two:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Identifier
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Driver

We dont need all the info, just the ones about your graphics card and
graphics driver. For example, this laptop gives these:

george at george-laptop:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Identifier
         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
         Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
         Identifier      "Synaptics Touchpad"
         Identifier      "stylus"
         Identifier      "eraser"
         Identifier      "cursor"
         Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 [Mobility
FireGL 9000]"
         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
         Identifier      "Default Screen"
         Identifier      "Default Layout"

george at george-laptop:~$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep Driver
         Driver          "kbd"
         Driver          "mouse"
         Driver          "synaptics"
         Driver          "wacom"
         Driver          "wacom"
         Driver          "wacom"
         Driver          "radeon"

As you can see, the ones we would need are:

Identifier      "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 [Mobility
and
Driver          "radeon"

If you are unsure just post all of it.

Also does fglrxinfo or glxinfo give you any output?

What about trying the mesa driver? (under Driver in Section "Device" put
"mesa" and do "killall gdm" and then "gdm" (without speech marks))

George