[Klug-general] Wine, virtual desktop and no borders

Karl Lattimer karl at qdh.org.uk
Thu Dec 27 12:22:45 GMT 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 11:25 +0000, Dan Attwood wrote:
> HI all
>
> i was given a copy of Civilization 4 for christmas and i've managed to
> get it to run under wine by following the instructions at WineHQ.
> However due to my dual screen set up i have to run it with the emulate
> a  virtual desktop option. Whilst this works fine it does mean that it
> doesn't fit the screen quite right because of the border decoration at
> the top of the window - the bit with  the close button etc .
>
> Is there a way to run it without the window decoration?

Unfortunately this is a difficult issue to solve, it mostly depends on
your dual screen set up. If you're using twinview a metamode can fix it,
if you're using xinerama don't have a single desktop, you'd have to
split it up properly (gnome panel doesn't extend both screens) and that
should work.

Wine doesn't really have an inbuilt method to deal with this, but in the
new year we're going to be looking at some wine internals wrt the gnome
integration issues and this may be part of our todo list.

K,