[Klug-general] Wine, virtual desktop and no borders

Andrew Miller (Spode) spode at thinkbikes.com
Thu Dec 27 13:20:42 GMT 2007

> On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 11:25 +0000, Dan Attwood wrote:
>> HI all
>>
>> i was given a copy of Civilization 4 for christmas and i've managed to
>> get it to run under wine by following the instructions at WineHQ.
>> However due to my dual screen set up i have to run it with the emulate
>> a  virtual desktop option. Whilst this works fine it does mean that it
>> doesn't fit the screen quite right because of the border decoration at
>> the top of the window - the bit with  the close button etc .
>>
>> Is there a way to run it without the window decoration?
>>

> Unfortunately this is a difficult issue to solve, it mostly depends on
> your dual screen set up. If you're using twinview a metamode can fix it,
> if you're using xinerama don't have a single desktop, you'd have to
> split it up properly (gnome panel doesn't extend both screens) and that
> should work.
>
> Wine doesn't really have an inbuilt method to deal with this, but in the
> new year we're going to be looking at some wine internals wrt the gnome
> integration issues and this may be part of our todo list.
>
> K,

This is true, but he's not asking about simulating a fullscreen - merely
getting rid of the border - as he's already worked out how to run it in a
window of the correct size.

I would suggest a script to load your game that does something along the
lines of:

/command to stop wm
/command to load game
/command to restart wm

This of course assumes you won't be multitasking while playing the game,
but should get rid of the borders.

I've not tried this before, but I know Beryl has the option of disabling
the window manager, so there must be a command for it!

Another idea would be setting up a second user account with an X setup for
only one Display.

Spode