[Klug-general] Killer apps for GNOME

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 13:03:10 GMT 2007

On Sunday 30 December 2007 10:45, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> Hi all, I wanted to quickly gauge public opinion on a set of killer apps
> for gnome and get your input...
>
> Things that interest me on Mac OSX:
>  * iLife - iPhoto, garage band, iMovie+iDVD, iTunes
>  * omni outliner
>  * photobooth
>  * comic life
>  * iSync + .Mac
>
> When poking around gnome I find:
>  * f-spot
>  * Jokosher
>  * DVD-styler
>  * Pitivi
>  * Notecase
>  * Banshee
>  * cheese
>  * Conduit + OpenSync
>  * ++ ++ I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING FOR COMICLIFE!!! ++ ++
>
> Each of the gnome apps needs a little polish, with the exception of
> f-spot and banshee which are pretty much feature complete and have great
> UIs.
>
> I suppose my point here is, of all the people you know who don't use
> computers that often what is it that they'd want to do most? For me I
> see this market as the photos, music, home movies and video blogging,
> high level creative apps (easy to use very powerful e.g. comiclife), and
> being able to build sync and publishing profiles across the myriad of
> devices and destinations available in todays web 2.0 world.
>
> Are there any other apps that are important to you which are more to do
> with >DOING THINGS< that you can see being important, or at least having
> an important feature you'd maybe like exposed in an easier way?
>
> K,

on the topic of gnome, i was pleasantly surprised when i installed the latest
ubuntu on a new system. gnome is the default window manager and
everything "just worked", i'm not talking in a hardware sense, but in the way
that you can burn, rip, autoplay cd's and change settings... etc. the user
who hasn't had any pc for several years asked how they could do "x" or "y"
and the answer from me was normally "erm there should be an application on
the menu for that..." and there was. unfortunately i cant remember any of the
app names :-(

The one i would add to the list would be the default cd ripping/playing app if
only lame was installed by default. (think this was due to licensing issues)