[Klug-general] Webhosting

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 19:54:31 GMT 2007

On Thursday 15 Feb 2007 17:26, Philippe Yates wrote:
> Dear All,
> I don't post too often (because of a sincere appreciation of my
> ignorance in computing matters), but I have read with interest the more
> knowledgeable of you waxing lyrical about things Linux ever since I
> moved the Study Centre's computing system over to Linux some 4 years ago.
> Thank you for all the (half-understood) wisdom that you share and that
> it is a privilege to receive.
>
> I have a favour to ask. Our webhosting service has announced that they
> will no longer be offering the service in a couple of months so we are
> now looking for a new service. I'm sure there are hundreds out there but
> I don't know how to choose - so I thought I would turn to the experts of
> this forum for advice on where and how to look.
> In anticipation of your kindness, thank you.
> Philippe

depends on your requirements really,

in order of expense and flexibility you have some main types of hosting:

co-location
dedicated
virtual server
shared

I can recommend www.devisland.net for the shared hosting, but that's my biased
view :-)

What are your requirements? eg, domains, space, databases, server side
languages (php etc), bandwidth. Once you have got figures in your head for
the above then you can go hunting for a provider, without hosting company's
sites baffliing you with features you don't need.

Sometimes it can be hard to directly compare two company's packages as
features provided will vary.

Support is a good thing to look for, I would definitely contact  the host and
ask questions, If your not satisfied with the response move on to the next.

Ask for an example website from a client of the host, with this you can
perform a simple speed test.

Check for any transfer/setup/moving away fees.

hope this helps