[Klug-general] Re: So, this new iPhone

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 00:37:24 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 12:08:58AM -0000, Stuart Brand wrote:
> Walt Mossberg ? ?The best and most advanced personal computer operating
> system on the market?

Aaah, wonderful one mans word.

Bill gates said we wouldn't need more than 640k of memory.

> To be honest, as much as I love linux, the reason I use a mac is for the
> shell, I have never seen an article like this in a paper such as the
> newyork journal for Linux?
> So when does taste become fact?  to say linux is the best desktop os is
> silly, servers yes, desktop, NO

I never said linux was the best, I don't know where that came into it
from.

> If this is so then why did I have to tell that the browser in os x was
> safari? and show you where to find it? you say the Dock is not an
> innovation and has been around for years? yet there it was

I knew it was safari, I just expected firefox, most people I know with
macs tend to use firefox for web. And the Dock, well guess what, I don't
have one on my machine, I don't use a mac everyday, and thus when I
first plonk down infront of one its not entirely straight off. Last time
I used a mac in anger OS X was called NeXT Step.

> Well, if you think about it :) your current employer

This scares me :p

> I never said it was revolutionary did I? it was an example to show that
> no, as you put it, I do know jack shit ;)

Yes but at the same time you had to ask what scp was when I mentioned
it.

I don't want to get into exchanging cheep shots with you. Not on a
public mailing list, if you want to have it out, then you know my email
address.

Mac's have their place, Linux has its place, hell even windows has its
place.

Which people prefer is a matter of taste. Just cos one person says
chocolate is the best icecream flavour, doesn't mean they are write and
we are all wrong for liking vanilla. You have waded in on a debate here
entirely missing the point.

I am not bitter about all this, I couldn't care less tbh. I was just
curious to what the local geeks thought of the new toy from apple.

I have stated my oppinion, and it is only that, an oppinion, neither
write, nor wrong.

So can we move to a more polite mature discussion please ?