[Klug-general] Bittorent and slow internet

Dan Attwood danattwood at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 11 09:27:36 GMT 2007

Hi all

I've recently set up Torrentflux on my home server and overall it's
really good - however it's murdering my internet connection. Whilst
the torrents are running the web is unusably slow. It also means I
can't getting into my web site during the day - which defeats the
object.

The quick fix solution to this was to use a script that pauses all
python scripts on the server. This then runs as a cron job so that
when my partner arrives home in the evening she can check her emails
without me being shouted at.

I have also

Opened and forwarded the relevent ports on my router
Throtled the download and uploads speeds to a quarter of my total bandwidth
Limited the numbers of down/uploads

I wondered if any one has any idea what might be causing this slowness
and how I can fix it? are there any gui traffic shappers avaialbe

Dan