[Klug-general] Bittorent and slow internet

Karl karl at digital-end.com
Thu Jan 11 09:41:00 GMT 2007

Hi,

While limiting the upload (and download) speeds will leave more
bandwidth free for your other uses, the main culprit, especially if
you're running many torrents or torrents with large numbers of seeders
and leechers is the number of connections and therefore the number of
packets.

You've already mentioned you have a router and I'm going to assume it's
a commercial router, as opposed to a computer you've setup as a router.
These routers (unless you're willing to spend hundreds or even thousands
of pounds) have operating capacities which limit the number of
concurrent connections they can support. My ZyXel router (mid-range) can
support somewhere in the region of 200-300 connections before additional
packets are dropped and you notice slowness or, in extreme cases, no
activity at all.

Most torrent programs have a limit on the total number of connections
and the connections per torrent. Have a play with these settings and see
how they affect the problems you've been experiencing. You'll notice
that your torrents won't download quite as fast, but there probably
isn't going to be much in it, as the torrents would have been coming up
against the same slowness you were experiencing.

I'm now using a dedicated Linux box as a router and this appears to give
you much greater throughput when it comes to packets/connections.
There's obviously still a limit that an ADSL/Cable line can support
though.

Apologies if I've told you something you already know.

Karl