[Klug-general] So, this new iPhone

J D Freeman klug at quixotic.org.uk
Thu Jan 11 23:28:54 GMT 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 06:14:32PM +0000, Karl Lattimer wrote:
> There`s a very telling moment in the new film, "Thank You for
> Smoking," where tobacco lobbyist Nick Naylor asks his son Joey (the
> young Cameron Bright, excellently balancing innocence and
> precociousness) to prove to him, a vanilla ice cream fan, that
> chocolate ice cream is the best ice cream in the world.
>
> Joey eagerly describes all the qualities that make chocolate so good,
> but he still loses the argument. Why? Not because the question is a
> wholly subjective one. Nick wins without ever mentioning his
> preference for vanilla. Instead, he merely states that chocolate
> simply isn`t for him, and Joey learns a valuable lesson: you don`t
> always have to prove you`re right, just that the other person is wrong.

This exact scene was what I was refering to about oppinions.

> Quoted from a review of said movie
>
> --
>
> I don't get into willy waving fights just to be clear, you stated
> that there was no point in the iPhone, when in fact I stated the
> reasons why its good, and it will be a success and why it will bring
> about a paradigm change. Just because you're a fan of chocolate ice
> cream, doesn't mean we all are. You make initial posts in a
> categorical sense, rue those who argue, basically like a teacher
> dictating the subject and telling kids their wrong if they have their
> own opinions, in fact almost every technology post of yours has taken
> this attitude, I grew up with teachers like that, didn't like them,
> didn't respect them and couldn't because they were reading off a set
> of cards that was already irrelevant, same as you are.

I Neve claimed that the phone wouldn't suck for everyone, I didn't say
that it wouldn't be good for some people, infact I said it would. I even
said I think it will be a success. What I said is that there are areas I
think it could be improved, and some things I didn't like about it.

I have said many times that people are not wrong for having oppinions,
but they are just that. You have on occasion told me in ways which come
across as blatent orders that I should change my OS. That is not a
discussion, that is not a debate of oppinion, thats treating it as fact.

You are not wrong for your beleifs, beleive what you want. HOWEVER,
don't expect me to always agree with you.

"I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight to my death for your
right to say it."

> if you look back at your initial post, it seems you've already made
> assumptions, and shouted it down, my first post tried to convince you
> that creating a stance at such an early stage against it was probably
> a bad idea given the fact that it is pretty damn good.

I didn't say it was crap, I just said it has these points which I think
it fails on. Infact, if you watch the keynote (I hope you have?) you
will find steve jobs even agrees with me on some of the points I make
(low end nokias have a reasonable UI!?).

If you read the language I am using, I am asking questions, not
dictating that its shit. You have jumped in and assumed this is my
beleif.

> A simple truth of the world is this, and it is prophetic in a sense
> so don't try and argue, some really smart enlightened bloke came up
> with it.

Ah yes, that makes it right doesn't it? Define smart ?

> "Beliefs are bad, people become so ingrained in their beliefs that
> they form hatreds, these hatreds can lead to war, it is far more
> appropriate to have ideas and ideals, as these can change to meet new
> challenges"

He makes a good point. I have ideas and ideals, if anything I am far far
to idealistic, quixotic even (see quixotic.org.uk for definition).

> You put across your belief that apple aren't a worthwhile company and
> their new product isn't worthwhile and the status quo is fine, when
> they have achievements which out way your own, this is the sin of
> envy by the way, which is itself the single contributing emotion to
> willy waving competitions. That as far as I can tell makes you an
> initiator.

I haven't said apple aren't worth while. They have done some wonderous
things for the industry. I don't know why you think I am so anti them, I
am not. Please stop painting me as some apple hater.

> I just get pissed off with you because well, lets face it, I doubt
> apple were really stressed about nobbly fives when they sat down to
> re-invent the phone 2.5 years ago. To you it seems the world, you're
> short sighted, and will probably attack anything new if it comes from
> a company you don't believe in.

Thats crap. I don't care about companies, I care about a good product.
Thats why I use a MS natural keyboard, and a MS mouse. I think they are
great products, so even tho they are made by MS, I still use them. Again
with the jumping to conclusions.

> Solution: Don't believe in things, try, see, investigate, form
> opinions after you have the available facts.

No, I disagree. With out a beleif, even if its just the beleif in
yourself, you wont get anywhere. Think about the likes of Ghandi, and
Martin Luther King, Both people who beleived in a cause, beleived in the
ability to change.

> I can easily tell that you never even watched the keynote
> presentation, you just made all the assumptions you could to bolster
> your point. Everyone I know who has seen the keynote, apple lovers
> and haters and just casual observers have sworn, opened their eyes
> wide with glee, and gasped in shock and awe at its wonderful design
> and feature set.

Actually I have watched the keynote. I do not dispute that its a good
design, I do however wonder of certain features. How can you use it
without looking at the phone? How can you use the touch screen whilst
wearing globes, will the screen scratch? will the phone take the abuse
we put phones through? Will the battery life be good enough? it only
mentions the talk time, what about time spent waiting for a call?

> PS: Its bad practice on email to attack every point in a message,
> you're such a fan of top posting, try and understand why people
> bottom post in the first place. RELEVANCY!

Sentence no sense make.